The original wharf and surrounding buildings date back to the mid-1700s, used for rigging merchant and fishing boats. Shipbuilders would float empty hulls to the wharf to be finished and outfitted for use. In the 1800s, the site became a mercantile center, dealing primarily in coal and cotton.
Later, the wharf was used as an oyster house, where local oyster fishermen would bring their catch for processing and distribution. The Wharf Tavern was established in 1955 and has thrived as a destination for fine food and drink in a seaside atmosphere.